First chartered in 1793, the Vergennes Congregational Church has a long history of building community. The steepled church and manse were built in 1834 and 1837 respectively, with many renovations along the way. In 2013 the manse and church were joined by an enclosed "bridge" that provides handicap accessible passage for children and adults attending Sunday school and other meetings throughout the year. The church leases the lower floor of the manse to the Evergreen Preschool and houses the Vergennes Community Food Shelf in a small building next to the manse.
In the early 1960's our church became a member of the United Church of Christ. Since 1793 twenty-seven pastors have served and led the congregation.
When the church celebrated its' 200th anniversary, Joe Klopfenstein wrote a detailed history of the church. Please contact the church to request a copy.